11.06.2010

simple joys.

There are few things I enjoy more than waking up with the sun in my face. Very few things indeed. When you wake up feeling such warmth...such majestic beauty...it's nearly impossible to not wake up with a smile on your face, hope in your heart and spring in your step.

The long days of summer where the sun rises early and sets late, make my heart simply sing. Ultimately, what this means is that adjusting to the shorter days and darker skies does not bode well with my heart. Or my eyes. How do I know? Well, because I have successfully been waking up late for about two weeks straight. Oye.


Today, I woke up to the sun shining brightly on my face. I instantly knew it was going to be a fabulous and productive day and all felt right in the world. Although all is most definitely not right in the world, not even close, it was refreshing to remain in my bubble of happiness for even a short period of time.

I believe in finding joys in the little things; I think that's something that living in a small town has made me appreciate. Too often I take for granted my daily phone call to my Mom, feeling safe in my home and in my community, or hearing the sound of my sweet hubby's voice when he is on a road trip. I like to think that some part of me has always cherished the little things, but as I have gotten older and as I continue to learn, they deserve more than just that. Here is a small list of the little things that made this a perfect day:

1. Waking up with the sun on my face
2. A full hour of cardio dance routine thanks to my daily sidekick: NETFLIX
3. Listening to my Mom talk about what a pain the Christmas lights are; I miss being home to help with this project, although if you ask my Mom, I never wanted to help when I was actually living at home!
4. Catching up with Lynnette
5. Feeling a complete sense of accomplishment from scouring our apartment from carpet to ceiling, every room, and organizing while I went. It feels blissful!
6. Texting back and forth with Carly
7. Although there wasn't a live broadcast to listen to, the stat updates on D's game had me running around the apartment like I was actually at the game. They lost in overtime but they played hard and I am proud!
8. Watching my happy fish swim in their clean tank
9. Writing a "welcome home" message on our entryway chalkboard
10. Hearing my hubby tell me he is on his way home - zero sleeps until he's home!

What little things made you happy today? I hope you enjoyed every second of your Saturday as much as I did!

2 comments:

The Marshalls said...

I enjoyed my son's first birthday party today. It was great.

I love reading your blog. It makes me smile! Thanks!

Michaela said...

You are adorable. So happy you found my blog so I could find yours (: I love waking up with sun on my face, too! Although it's rare it happens here in Seattle, ha! Oh well...that's what going home to California is for! I love helping with Christmas decor, too.

~Michaela